News

Wairarapa rates increases may ‘force people from their homes‘

Wairarapa residents living in flood-prone areas are confused and angry about a proposal to change the way they pay for flood protection. Photo: RNZ/Jacob McSweeny Greater Wellington Regional Council wants to change the rating system so those who benefit most from flood protection pay 70 percent of the cost, with the remaining 30 percent covered by all other ratepayers. Now […]

Cop should not have tasered man in the back – watchdog

An Auckland police officer who tasered a man in the back was not justified in using the weapon, the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) has ruled. A NZ police-issue taser. Photo: NZ Police The man who was tasered suffered facial injuries and was knocked unconscious when he fell to the ground after the taser was used. He was arrested after […]

New child poverty law too narrow – community groups

Community groups have told MPs the proposed law to measure and reduce child poverty is too narrow. Photo: 123RF The Child Poverty Reduction Bill sets out the framework for measuring child poverty so the government can set targets to reduce it. The proposed legislation includes 10 measures of poverty and material hardship based on a family‘s income. Pakuranga and Howick […]

Construction company faces $3m fine for misleading customers

A construction company could face a $3 million fine for misrepresenting seismic standards on materials it used. Photo: Supplied Commerce Commission lawyer John Dixon QC told the Auckland District Court in a hearing that Steel & Tube misrepresented the seismic standards of steel mesh it used. The company failed to test the mesh according to four standards so deserved a […]

Judges pulled from criminal cases to work Family Court backlog

Delays in criminal cases are likely to increase by the chief District Court judge to reassign judges to the Family Court to address a backlog. Chief District Court judge Jan-Marie Doogue Photo: Pool / Fairfax NZ Lawyers working in both fields said they were sympathetic to Judge Jan-Marie Doogue‘s predicament, and there simply were not enough District Court judges. As […]

Use RNZ‘s app? Take the survey to improve it

Our revamped app has been going strong since it was released nearly a year ago, but we want your feedback on how it‘s working out for our audience. – The survey will help us continue to improve it and give you the chance to win an RNZ T-shirt. If you prefer to remain anonymous that is fine too. Photo: RNZ […]

App helps police combat family violence

Police have developed a new iPhone app to help them respond to an increasing number of family violence call-outs. Acting Superintendent Bronwyn Marshall. Photo: RNZ/Anusha Bradley From today, all front line officers started using the new On Duty Family Harm app to file family violence reports from the scene. Front line officers, who spend 41 percent of their time attending […]